Infinite
Infinite
Infinite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating Something From Nothing! Come Take part in this New Custom Life!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build
question about 3 wire alternator. EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm by jaclynn

» how is everybody?
question about 3 wire alternator. EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 11:35 pm by michanic220

» Hoping for the best
question about 3 wire alternator. EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 11:59 pm by michanic220

» I had surgery a week ago Monday.
question about 3 wire alternator. EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 6:22 pm by jjski78

» update on everything!
question about 3 wire alternator. EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 am by michanic220

» The Jokes and Nothing but the Jokes~
question about 3 wire alternator. EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 7:52 pm by Jeffro

» can you say lego V8?
question about 3 wire alternator. EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:16 pm by michanic220

» another project down the road.
question about 3 wire alternator. EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:13 pm by michanic220

» The Celica Project
question about 3 wire alternator. EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 4:50 am by Jeffro

Top posters
Jeffro (796)
question about 3 wire alternator. I_vote_lcapquestion about 3 wire alternator. I_voting_barquestion about 3 wire alternator. I_vote_rcap 
michanic220 (386)
question about 3 wire alternator. I_vote_lcapquestion about 3 wire alternator. I_voting_barquestion about 3 wire alternator. I_vote_rcap 
jjski78 (172)
dj rex (141)
jaclynn (126)
larryo587 (88)
mazdaB86 (86)
andymtx (81)
Torched04 (29)
03civicdx (20)

question about 3 wire alternator.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
michanic220
Administrator
michanic220

Infinite Scores : 306

question about 3 wire alternator. Empty
PostSubject: question about 3 wire alternator.   question about 3 wire alternator. EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 11:11 pm

just a regular stock alt. need to know where the wires go altho i think i have it figured out. from what i've read up the there is a plug with a brown wire and a red and the red wire isnt connected to anything. but the brown wire is going into the cab. from what i can gather the brown wire is going to a idiot light or buzzer or something. and the red wire goes through a fused link to the key switch. then the big post obviously goes to the battery.

right or wrong?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/n0limits0ldier
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

Infinite Scores : 100

PostSubject: Re: question about 3 wire alternator.   question about 3 wire alternator. EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 9:24 am

1. You should have one large red (10 gauge or so) wire. This is the main power wire that goes directly to the battery. Make sure it is a heavy gauge since it has to carry the full output of the alternator (up to 100 amps).

2. The second wire, probably brown goes to a switched power source. This is the field wire that energizes the alternator. It must be switched, or else it will drain the battery overnight. Do not wire this into the coil power wire that you use to switch the engine on and off (a seemingly elegant solution), since once the engine is running the alternator will feed power back through this wire, which will then power the coil, and you won't be able to shut your car off.

3. The last wire is the lead for the sensing wire that goes to the idiot light in your instrument panel.
Back to top Go down
Jeffro
Expert Customizer
Expert Customizer
Jeffro

Infinite Scores : 671

PostSubject: Re: question about 3 wire alternator.   question about 3 wire alternator. EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 1:04 pm

good to know when I install my new high output alternator!
Back to top Go down
https://infinitecustoms.forumotion.net
michanic220
Administrator
michanic220

Infinite Scores : 306

PostSubject: Re: question about 3 wire alternator.   question about 3 wire alternator. EmptyWed Mar 04, 2009 5:23 pm

alright, thats what i thought! thanks cheers
oh and my main power wire coming from it is 4 gauge.
you cant build a car and not do the big 3!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/n0limits0ldier
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: question about 3 wire alternator.   question about 3 wire alternator. Empty

Back to top Go down

question about 3 wire alternator.
Page 1 of 1