Infinite
Infinite
Infinite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating Something From Nothing! Come Take part in this New Custom Life!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm by jaclynn

» how is everybody?
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 11:35 pm by michanic220

» Hoping for the best
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 11:59 pm by michanic220

» I had surgery a week ago Monday.
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 6:22 pm by jjski78

» update on everything!
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 am by michanic220

» The Jokes and Nothing but the Jokes~
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 7:52 pm by Jeffro

» can you say lego V8?
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:16 pm by michanic220

» another project down the road.
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:13 pm by michanic220

» The Celica Project
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 4:50 am by Jeffro

Top posters
Jeffro (796)
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 I_vote_lcap1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 I_voting_bar1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
michanic220 (386)
1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 I_vote_lcap1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 I_voting_bar1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 
jjski78 (172)
dj rex (141)
jaclynn (126)
larryo587 (88)
mazdaB86 (86)
andymtx (81)
Torched04 (29)
03civicdx (20)

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jeffro
Expert Customizer
Expert Customizer
Jeffro

Infinite Scores : 671

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 2:20 pm

That is amazing that it only ways 25 pounds... I was surprised at that number!
Back to top Go down
https://infinitecustoms.forumotion.net
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

Infinite Scores : 100

PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 4:02 pm

25 pounds is the suggested weight. It is sort of a median weight for the plane. The wing loading on this Cub can take up to 35-40 pounds, but I don't think I will get anywhere near that. I'm sort of a nut when it comes to planes. I plan on having all the cables where the full sized plane has its cables. I am also planning on having this part

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 CubTrim1

which is the trim controls for the stabilizer as an active and fully functional part. The cable runs to the front of the plane and is operated by a crank on the left side of the cockpit (I've always wondered where that word came from) operational. Its kind of funny, but the full scale Cub's pulleys are made from a fiber soaked in resin and turned on a mill. Basically.... plastic... ya really, plastic pulleys on a plane that someone is flying. Now the pulleys in the wing are light aircraft steel and all the cables are braided stainless steel. A far cry from the modern aircraft we fly in as commercial airliners with three back-up hydraulic supplies and another back-up which deploys automatically if all of the other supplies fail. It's a small and yet powerful wind powered generator which drops into the airstream under one of the wings. It has hooked to it an alternator which supplies power to only the essential controls so the pilot can fly the plane manually.

With all of our technology, the last chance is something out of the 1920's, a wind powered generator which hasn't changed much since they were used on trainer aircraft going way back.

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 WindGenerator

This is a wind generator on a 1933 Lincoln Primary Trainer Bi-Plane.
Back to top Go down
Jeffro
Expert Customizer
Expert Customizer
Jeffro

PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 05, 2009 8:26 pm

I just get so amazed by the amount of info you know about these planes!!!! It is like I am learning more stuff everytime you post!!! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 11:12 am

In my search for information about the Cub I find many things lately like this...

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 ClarkY

I thought the cabling for the ailerons came straight out of the wing. Seems there's a pulley or roller at the exit on the top of the wing where the aileron cable exits the wing before it connects to the aileron.
Back to top Go down
Jeffro
Expert Customizer
Expert Customizer
Jeffro

PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Come on now why not just go crazy and build a real plane???
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:16 am

Do you remember "The Flight of the Phoenix?" This is a real airplane.... it has to be better than a real airplane because it has to fly itself with a little help from the radio.

Cub's Update:

Had to remove the aileron hinges. By the time I got the leading edge trim on I found a mistake in the design. My hinges didn't drop down far enough to allow access to the hinge bolts. Mad I picked up some new hinge plate material today and am going to replace ALL of the hinge mounts and also build new servo arms. The ones which I was going to use were too soft and bent very easily so I'm going with .032 brass servo arms and .064 brass hinges. These won't flex, this I assure.
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 10:48 pm

This is the aileron control horn. Took me all day to design them so I didn't introduce differential into the operation. Differential is when one part moves faster or farther than it opposite component. I had to make a total of six identical hinges of which two will be for the aileron control.

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 ControlHorn1

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 ControlHorn2
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 12:52 am

My 100th post... is that good?
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 8:49 pm

Although I haven't built the cable pulley mount, with a lot of experimenting and checking my photos this is going to be the final setup. The aileron horn is off set as shown in the photo. The servo horn has the same off set. Most everything is made up of brass for strength. The pulley, however, is actually three servo horns. I used two large and one small horn. They are bolted together with two very small screws. There is also a ball bearing in the center for smooth operation. I am probably going to take a few days before starting the right wing. I have however, made all the parts needed for the right wing as I was building the left wing so every part is identical. The aileron connecting bolts are temporary... they really are not going to be this long... LOL

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 TopsideAileron
The pulley is just setting on a temporary mount and one wing rib. The finished product will be a
plywood stand epoxied to the rear wing spar.

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 CableRollerAileron
Side view showing the position of the pulley in reference to the aileron. This also shows how it clears
the trailing edge as in the full scale.

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 UndersideAileron
As with everything... my mind was elsewhere when I epoxied the servo mounting rib. It was too far to one
side so a box had to be built to move the servo out in line with the aileron horn. I was getting tired.
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm

All didn't go as well as I wanted with the aileron controls so I had to go old school push-rods but am going to put fake upper control cable which will just slide in a nylon tube giving the effect of the pull - pull system of the full scale Piper Cub. But today I framed up the other wing half and wished to post some stunning photos of just how big this plane is going to be. The wing halves are just clipped together... there will be another 6 - 8 inches between the wing halves where they connect to the fuselage for total of 140 inches of wing span. Gulp!!!! As a scale, the lofted ceiling is 10 foot and 4 inches.

The red, white and blue plane is the Super Chipmunk I built last spring. It is upside down because.... well the guy that made this plane famous did most of his stunts upside down.

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 P1030045

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 P1030046
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build   1/3 scale Piper Cub Build - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

1/3 scale Piper Cub Build
Page 1 of 1