Infinite
Infinite
Infinite
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating Something From Nothing! Come Take part in this New Custom Life!

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» 1/3 scale Piper Cub Build
hood question, need oppinions! EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 8:13 pm by jaclynn

» how is everybody?
hood question, need oppinions! EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 11:35 pm by michanic220

» Hoping for the best
hood question, need oppinions! EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 11:59 pm by michanic220

» I had surgery a week ago Monday.
hood question, need oppinions! EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 6:22 pm by jjski78

» update on everything!
hood question, need oppinions! EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 10:15 am by michanic220

» The Jokes and Nothing but the Jokes~
hood question, need oppinions! EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 7:52 pm by Jeffro

» can you say lego V8?
hood question, need oppinions! EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:16 pm by michanic220

» another project down the road.
hood question, need oppinions! EmptySat Aug 22, 2009 5:13 pm by michanic220

» The Celica Project
hood question, need oppinions! EmptySat Aug 15, 2009 4:50 am by Jeffro

Top posters
Jeffro (796)
hood question, need oppinions! I_vote_lcaphood question, need oppinions! I_voting_barhood question, need oppinions! I_vote_rcap 
michanic220 (386)
hood question, need oppinions! I_vote_lcaphood question, need oppinions! I_voting_barhood question, need oppinions! I_vote_rcap 
jjski78 (172)
dj rex (141)
jaclynn (126)
larryo587 (88)
mazdaB86 (86)
andymtx (81)
Torched04 (29)
03civicdx (20)

hood question, need oppinions!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
michanic220
Administrator
michanic220

Infinite Scores : 306

hood question, need oppinions! Empty
PostSubject: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 am

have you ever felt a camaro hood? yeah.. they weigh a good 50 pounds or more! heavy hoods! so im taking mine off and replacing it with a fiberglass one. camaro hinges are junk, always have been. so im going to get the snap pins to hold it down. also probably going to chop a whole out of the hood for a blower/intake. question being should it be a regular hood? or should i make a split hood? where its cut downt he middle and opens from the middle out to the sides on each size.

IE: hood question, need oppinions! 5501_1566175616470559b896411
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/n0limits0ldier
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

Infinite Scores : 100

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 8:30 pm

michanic220 wrote:
have you ever felt a camaro hood? yeah.. they weigh a good 50 pounds or more! heavy hoods! so im taking mine off and replacing it with a fiberglass one. camaro hinges are junk, always have been. so im going to get the snap pins to hold it down. also probably going to chop a whole out of the hood for a blower/intake. question being should it be a regular hood? or should i make a split hood? where its cut downt he middle and opens from the middle out to the sides on each size.

IE: hood question, need oppinions! 5501_1566175616470559b896411

If it were my car, I would use latch pins in all four corners and be rid of the hinges altogether. GM hinges have always been a problem IMO from the 60's on when they went to the sprung hinge. I believe the spring is to heavy and the stiffness of the hood not well thought out. Latch pins would cure the hood problem without going to fiberglass.

The split hood looks cool and all, but it would have to come off for everything except checking oil and antifreeze. That is why I am suggesting a four pinned hood with rubber bumpers to keep the hood from walking around in the hood opening. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
jjski78
The Engine Guy
The Engine Guy

Infinite Scores : 60

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 8:42 pm

I'd stay away from the split hood. Personally I think they only belong on Japanese show cars, and even then you're kinda reaching. I would definitely go Fiberglass, unless you have the coin for carbon fiber. And x2 on the 4 corner hood pins, eliminate the junky hinges totally.
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 8:54 pm

jjski78 wrote:
I And x2 on the 4 corner hood pins, eliminate the junky hinges totally.

Does this mean (X2), you agree with me... I'm not into car shorthand my friend.

JacLynn
Back to top Go down
jjski78
The Engine Guy
The Engine Guy

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 8:55 pm

jaclynn wrote:
jjski78 wrote:
I And x2 on the 4 corner hood pins, eliminate the junky hinges totally.

Does this mean (X2), you agree with me... I'm not into car shorthand my friend.

JacLynn

Yeah, it means I agree with you, I second your motion.
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 9:00 pm

Cool, I'm learning.... I guess you can teach old dogs new tricks... not that I'm an old dog.... how do I get out of this? I guess I just post whore and hit send. LOL
Back to top Go down
jjski78
The Engine Guy
The Engine Guy

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 9:11 pm

Don't worry, I FEEL old. I guess 3 hours of sleep in a week will do that though!
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 9:28 pm

Three hours? What do you do?
Back to top Go down
jjski78
The Engine Guy
The Engine Guy

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 9:29 pm

I am a father with a sick baby. Poor guy got his flu shot last week, and of course has been sick all this week.
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyFri Feb 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry. I hope he's ok soon. I can't take flu shots, they do the same to me. I don't know how you do it besides loving your baby as much as I know you do.
Back to top Go down
michanic220
Administrator
michanic220

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 2:45 am

alright, thanks guys! mine has the hydrolic things on the hood, my buddies 1980 2nd gen has the old springs. but im probably just gonna mold the top and bottom of my hood and then glass them together and support them. it will be the same as the stock hood, just fiberglass.
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 12:07 pm

jjski78 wrote:
I am a father with a sick baby. Poor guy got his flu shot last week, and of course has been sick all this week.

How's you little guy feeling today. I hope the ick is getting better so you can get some sleep.

JacLynn
Back to top Go down
jjski78
The Engine Guy
The Engine Guy

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 1:26 pm

He's feeling MUCH better, now I can't keep up with him!

Back to the hood..I KNOW they make fiberglass hoods for the Camaro, why not just buy one pre-made? They're not that expensive, and they are required to meet safety standards.
Back to top Go down
jaclynn
Radical Members
Radical Members

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 3:58 pm

jjski78 wrote:

Back to the hood..I KNOW they make fiberglass hoods for the Camaro, why not just buy one pre-made? They're not that expensive, and they are required to meet safety standards.

Joel, a fiberglass hood would be so much better. Easier to paint than metal... and if you want a scoop.... you can get one with the scoop already on it, unless you really like sweating your a$$ off sanding and welding on metal. LOL <jk>

I see a lot of glass hooded El Camino's here and they really look sharp. I know yours is a Camaro but basically the same lines up front. But really, it's your car and you have to rod it the way you want it. The only thing I can say is go with your gut feeling... maybe draw out a design on paper before you mess with testing things and find you don't like it.

JacLynn
Back to top Go down
jjski78
The Engine Guy
The Engine Guy

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Definitely have a plan before you start doing the work. I can't even count how many times I just winged it and was NOT happy with the results.
Back to top Go down
michanic220
Administrator
michanic220

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 3:35 am

alright. will do. i've been working on a few side projects too for it..
not sure how there gonna turn out so i havent taken manny pictures yet.
not sure if i like it or not. but if i do ill be sure to post pictures! and im just
going to mold my stock hood and pop the glass off, cut it, grind it, glass some more. basically make a fiberglass "stock" hood.. i have to do that because im poor and cant afford a professional one!...and all my money goes to the driveline Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jjski78
The Engine Guy
The Engine Guy

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 10:15 pm

HAHA, at least you have your priorities straight, go, then show!! I hate it when the car is all show and no go.
Back to top Go down
michanic220
Administrator
michanic220

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 9:01 pm

haha oh it will deffinatly be mostly go! if people dont wanna look at it they dont have too!
Back to top Go down
Jeffro
Expert Customizer
Expert Customizer
Jeffro

Infinite Scores : 671

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 9:10 pm

Hey now JJ watch that cause my celica is all SHOW and no go!!!! LOL lol!
Back to top Go down
https://infinitecustoms.forumotion.net
jjski78
The Engine Guy
The Engine Guy

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 9:20 pm

Guess you gotta fix that problem. Two choices in my book, turbo or nitrous.
Back to top Go down
michanic220
Administrator
michanic220

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 pm

deffinatly turbo! i wont use nitro. even if it does increase 200 HP with the push of a button! too much can happen, to fast with it! not to mention you have to have your timing right when you hit the button or boom! lol. i've seen too manny cars go up in flames from it.
Back to top Go down
Jeffro
Expert Customizer
Expert Customizer
Jeffro

Infinite Scores : 671

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyMon Mar 02, 2009 9:32 pm

OOOHHHHHH I KNOW

Sorry neither.... lol the celica will never be fast so it does not really matter to me.

The next vehicle we do will be everythign!
Back to top Go down
https://infinitecustoms.forumotion.net
michanic220
Administrator
michanic220

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! EmptyTue Mar 03, 2009 12:50 am

celica's are supposed to be pretty fast. the newer cars all have goveners tho, anywhere from 100 mph to 120 from the ones that i've seen. im sure theres a wider range.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hood question, need oppinions!   hood question, need oppinions! Empty

Back to top Go down

hood question, need oppinions!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Infinite :: Automotive :: Cars & Trucks-
Jump to: